Friday, October 16, 2015

70s Fever Part 3: The Piano, it Smells Like a Carnival

The TV appearance that started it all

As I write this, I am currently three hours and 40 minutes away from seeing Paul McCartney in concert.  I decided to go on a whim, after my friend told me she had an extra ticket and couldn't find anyone else who wanted to go (I was flattered that she phrased it that way).  It hasn't really sunken in that I'm going to be in the same arena as THE Paul McCartney in just a few hours.

I've always appreciated the Beatles (I know the hits and I have about 10 songs of theirs on my phone) but I never really got into them the way I have with some *ahem* other singers (I wonder who?).  With Paul McCartney and Wings, I'm even less familiar.  The only two songs I know are "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Silly Love Songs" (both of which I love).

So, in order to commemorate this occasion, I've decided to dedicate this post to the music of the 70s other than Billy Joel (I know, I'm as shocked as you right now).  And, I'll also be adding my thoughts about McCartney after the concert (yes, most likely in the early hours of the morning- oh the things I do for my dedicated readers).

But first, the 70s music scene that I'm familiar with**.
Credit: Asylum Records
----------------------------------
Eagles:
If Billy Joel is my favorite singer of all time, then Eagles take the spot for favorite band, hands down.  When it comes to the music of Eagles, most people take one of two stances: either they're Hotel California people, or they're not.  This is actually a point of contention between my mom and I; she is a firm believer in the pre-Hotel California Eagles, while I persistently claim that Hotel California is without a doubt their best record.

What you should listen to: "Take it Easy", "Pretty Maids All in a Row", "Try and Love Again", "Already Gone"

Best Lyric:
"Well, I heard some people talkin' just the other day
And they said you were gonna put me on a shelf
But let me tell you I got some news for you
And you'll soon find out it's true
And then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself"
-"Already Gone", On the Border
------------------------------------------------------------
James Taylor and John Denver:
Credit: RCA Records
credit: Warner Bros. 

Taylor and Denver have similar sounds, so I decided to group them together for this post (though they most definitely are able to stand alone).  They both embrace a mellow, folksy sound, and have produced great music for my two favorite hobbies: contemplating life and reminiscing about my imaginary 1970s childhood in the country.

What you should listen to:
Taylor- "Fire and Rain", "Sweet Baby James" 
Denver- "Poems, Prayers, and Promises",  
        "Rocky Mountain High", "The Box"
Best Lyric:  
"There's a song that they sing when they take to the highway,
A song that they sing when they take to the sea,
A song that they sing of their home in the sky,
Maybe you can believe it if it helps you to sleep,
But singing works just fine for me."
-"Sweet Baby James", Sweet Baby James
---------------------------------------------------------------
Credit: Warner Bros
Fleetwood Mac:

Fleetwood Mac holds a special place in my heart.  I actually wrote about the famed 70s band for one of my college essays that helped me in my Penn State application process.  A lot of their songs are so upbeat and fun to jam to, great for pushing through long study sessions and dreary winters.  On a different but equally important note, Stevie Nicks is a 1970s goddess. 

What you should listen to: Literally anything from their 1977 album Rumours

Best Lyric:
                                                                                          "Loving you
Isn't the right thing to do
How can I ever change things that I feel?
If I could
Baby I'd give you my world
How can I 
When you won't take it from me?"
- "Go Your Own Way", Rumours

There you have it: my picks from the greatest decade of music. Up next: Paul McCartney @ the BJC 
---------------------------------------------------------------

Wow.  That show was on fire.  Literally.  As in actual flames burst from the stage as Paul McCartney belted out his famous "Live and Let Die"chorus to his roaring fans that packed the BJC.

If you think the fireworks at Beaver Stadium are nifty, you obviously haven't seen Paul McCartney in concert.  If you didn't have the good fortune of being there in person, suffice it to say his trick "brought down the house" (figuratively- fortunately the excessive fire rockets mounted to the stage did not actually burn the BJC down).

What else is there to say?  The show was amazing.  McCartney really does know what he's doing up on the stage.  It started out a bit slow, as McCartney was obliged to sing a few of his newer songs in order to promote his album or satisfy the two or three people attending the concert that actually wanted to hear his new songs, or for whatever reason.  But the important part is that he got them out of the way early, and thus really let the show build.

He played "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Something" (on the ukulele!), making sure I met my recommended daily intake of love songs (they're an important part of my diet), "Blackbird" (probably the highlight of the show for me), and "Band on the Run" (I forgot I knew this song! Thank you Guitar Hero).  In a truly touching sequence, he played songs in memory of John Lennon and George Harrison, and his acoustic crooning of "Yesterday" was phenomenal.

Of course, there were many songs I had never heard before, and while I can't remember most of their names now, I am ashamed to admit that I had never heard "The Long and Winding Road" before tonight.  I've already listened to it three times since arriving back at my dorm.

He wrapped up his setlist with "Let it Be" and the classic sing-along "Hey Jude", then came back for not one but two encores, before disappearing into a blizzard of red, white, and blue confetti.

Oh, and he graced us with his rendition of our beloved "We Are" chant.  The 10 seconds occupied by our four word conversation may or may not have been the highlight of my week.

I'm still in a state of awe from what was now just a few hours ago.  I was sitting in the nosebleed section (there was a guy in the row behind me who was literally watching the concert through binoculars), with half of my view blocked by Lady Lions Basketball banners, but I feel so lucky to have been in the presence of one of The Beatles- it's definitely something I never would have imagined happening.

Needless to say I'll be listening to a lot more Beatles and Wings music in the future.  Given that The Beatles were Billy Joel's original inspiration, I don't think he would mind.
To conclude, I apologize for this video, but ever since I wrote about "Live and Let Die" I've been thinking about this scene from Shrek the Third.

**Note: I realize The Beatles were a band of the 1960s; however, Paul McCartney and Wings had a career that spanned from 1971-1979, which is why this post is relevant. #loopholes

4 comments:

  1. Your posts are always so awesome, Kay! I love the way you suggested songs for your readers so we can get involved, and maybe begin to love some of the same music that you do. I'm really glad you enjoyed the concert, despite the Lady Lions Basketball banners blocking your view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are so well organized with everything in each little boxed section, it makes it really easy on the reader. I loved listening to your perspectives on all the music from the 1970s and I should definitely look into relistening to some of the songs you mentioned. Excellent description of the concert, I almost felt like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting that you got to go to the concert last night! I love your enthusiasm and I also like how you set up the blog with suggestions of what to listen to and the best lyrics. Your blog is so much fun to read! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved The Eagles. (There's something special about a band whose drummer is also the lead singer, I think.)

    I'm so glad that you were introduced to "The Long and Winding Road." It's classic!

    ReplyDelete