Friday, October 9, 2015

Joel Has Soul Part 3: In the Mood for a Melody (again)

Greetings and welcome to part two of “Billy Joel and You: Some Friendly Suggestions”*!  This post is basically all the song recommendations that were simply too lengthy to justify cramming into my original post on the subject.  Below I have sorted some of Joel’s strongest hits into various categories for your perusing.  Joel's music is so diverse and spans such a wide array of subjects that there is literally something for everyone.  Read on, because I can guarantee that your new favorite song is somewhere on this page.
----------------------------------------------------

First up: songs that pander to our age group**
  • "Vienna"- The Stranger :  almost everyone my age who I've talked to about Billy Joel has told me that their favorite song is "Vienna", and it’s easy to see why.  The song is about a young adult who is trying to do everything at once and doesn’t know how to slow down and take it easy. This is probably Joel’s most resonating song for America’s hardworking youth.
  • "Summer Highland Falls" - Turnstiles: Fluffy and cynical at the same time. Isn’t this the kind    of thing hipsters live for? 
    • ** Note- this is in no way a criticism of either song; I love them too and have already managed to quote both of them in two separate blog posts, so I'm speaking from experience
--------------------------------------------------------
If you like...try...

       ...“Bubblegum” songs
  • "Uptown Girl" and "The Longest Time" - both, An Innocent Man:  These songs are unbelievably bright and cheerful- and incredibly fun.  If you’re in need of an energy boost, these two are the way to go.
        ...Deep, cynical, brooding lyrics
  • "I’ve Loved These Days"- Turnstiles: a nostalgic song about the soon-to-be good old days that packs a punch, if you really listen to the lyrics
  • "The Stranger"- The Stranger: The song itself is not as creepy as the album cover it inspired, but it’s still about not knowing your significant other as well as you think you do
        ...Love Songs (because everybody loves love songs)
  • "She’s Always a Woman"- The Stranger: I love this song.  Joel basically describes all the ways in which his wife can be ruthless and cold to others, but then ends every verse with “she’s always a woman to me”- beautiful
  • "She’s Got A Way"- Cold Spring Harbor: Oh man, this is one of the gooiest love songs I’ve ever come across, but then again, isn’t that what you want in a love song anyway?
         ...Songs with Attitude
  • "Movin’ Out" (Anthony’s Song)- The Stranger: This song has all the narrative finesse of “Scenes From An Italian Restaurant”, plus the bad temper of “Pressure”; it’s a wonderful combination
  • "My Life"- 52nd Street: “I don’t care what you say anymore this is my life… go ahead with your own life, leave me alone” - this is basically on repeat in my head
          ...History 
  • "Goodnight Saigon" - The Nylon Curtain: The Vietnam War from a soldier’s perspective- this one is unnerving and incredibly moving at the same time. I always get goosebumps when I listen to it.
  • "Allentown" - The Nylon Curtain & "The Downeaster Alexa" - Storm Front: Two songs about the plight of American workers that showcase Joel's ability to be a man of the people
------------------------------------------------------------
The Classics (no explanation required- just listen to them)
And finally... My Obscure Favorites! (as if anyone cares, but hey it’s my blog so I can pretend I’m important)
  • "You’re My Home" - Piano Man: This song is just adorable, and has such a nice, simple message behind it- the people in our lives are most important
  • "Somewhere Along the Line" - Piano Man: “It’s a rainy night in Paris…It’s a pleasure to be soaking in the European rain” As a French major, I love that Billy Joel occasionally incorprates French/France into his music.  Also, his voice really shines in this song.
  • "You Can Make Me Free" - Cold Spring Harbor: This is a dead ringer for a Beatles song, which makes sense considering the Beatles were Joel's initial inspiration
  • "Zanzibar" - 52nd Street: This is just a great song to groove to.
------------------------------------------------------------
*This concludes my beginner's guide of sorts to the music of Billy Joel.  From now on, Joel Has Soul posts will be less about introducing Joel's music, and more about discussing it in various contexts.

1 comment:

  1. You gave so many Billy Joel songs to listen to! I looked up Vienna on youtube as I was a bit stressed out, and absolutely loved it. I'm going to try to listen to quite a few more throughout the week, thanks for the tips to guide the inexperienced Billy Joel listener!

    ReplyDelete