Friday, March 25, 2016

Harmonious Happiness

"Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea, joy to you and me"
- Three Dog Night

If you hadn't noticed, I have a tendency to get a bit 'deep' in my blog posts. One second I'm writing an innocuous description of film in the 1970s, and the next I'm contemplating the very purpose of life itself.  It's just part of my personality I suppose. But for this post, I'm determined to keep things light-hearted, because the truth is, not everything needs to have some mysterious and profound meaning to be special.  And as much as I may like to believe it, not everything in the seventies can be linked to the tragedies and triumphs of the human spirit.

Some things just were, and that was enough.  So in this installment of "oh no she's about to talk about music again" I'll be providing my curated list of feel good 70s hits, no analysis or deep thoughts required (but always encouraged).  Enjoy!
---
For when you want to be transported to another world...

"Mexico" by James Taylor-- A song with a sunny disposition and the glorious harmonizing of James Taylor is all I need to take a three-minute beach vacation.  After listening to this, you'll be asking your bewildered classmate to pass the sunscreen.

"September" by Earth, Wind & Fire-- It's impossible to sit still while listening to this song.  I've never thought of September as my favorite month, but those "ba-dee-dahs" make me wish I were 'dancing in September.'

"December, 1963" by The Four Seasons-- I've never mentioned it on this blog because the majority of their music was produced before the 1970s, but Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons are my favorite guilty pleasure band.  And listening to the disco-tinted "December, 1963" is like consuming copious amounts of your favorite artificially-hued candy, with none of the regret.

For when you want to kick back and bask in your idealism...

"Peace Train" by Cat Stevens-- The style of this song is so cool (the alternating rhythm, the gospelesque backup, the fact that it's sung by a guy named Cat Stevens), and that's before you even start to listen to the lyrics.  Where can I get tickets to the peace train?

"Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night-- This song is the embodiment of the carefree and harmonious world we all long to live in, and best of all it knows not to take itself too seriously.

"I'd to Teach the World to Sing" by the New Seekers-- Yes, this is the song of Coke commercial fame, and I actually enjoy the Coke version better than the one untainted by American capitalism (I am only slightly ashamed).

For when you just want to listen to an awesome song...

"Rosalita" by Bruce Springsteen-- Honestly, there isn't much I'd rather do than listen to the sprawling, rasping voice of The Boss convince the forbidden Rosie to "come out tonight" in this sequence of jubilant pleas.

"Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John-- I first heard this song featured in what I consider the defining scene in the rom-com classic 27 Dresses, so I couldn't care less that I have absolutely no idea what Elton John is singing about.  If it's good enough for Katherine Heigl and James Marsden, it's good enough for me.

"Beast of Burden" by the Rolling Stones and "The Weight" by The Band-- In my humble opinion, you really need to watch Jimmy Fallon (and Billy Joel! and the Muppets!) perform these songs before you can claim to have lived.


1 comment:

  1. "One second I'm writing an innocuous description of film in the 1970s, and the next I'm contemplating the very purpose of life itself."

    This singular sentence is the exact reason I would want to read your blog if you continued it beyond the confines of our class.

    Thoughtful and quirky and hilarious!


    ReplyDelete