Thursday, April 7, 2016

The Muppet Man

I love reading self-help career articles  (you know, the ones published by Forbes and Fast Company that have titles like "how to ace the interview without selling yourself" and "six habits of highly successful business owners".  I probably spend a good few hours a week reading those articles, feeling empowered for all of 15 minutes, and then promptly forgetting everything I just read and starting all over again.  
---
I also really love the muppets (stay with me here).  I love their bright colors, their zany personalities (looking at you Animal), and honestly I just enjoy saying the word "muppet."  But most of all,  I love this musical number from Disney's 2011 film The Muppets, starring Jason Segel and muppet "Walter":


That song is definitely one of the happiest (and funniest) things I've ever seen-- which got me thinking... who is the man who started it all?  So this week, I want to tell you about the man behind the muppets: the one and only Jim Henson.
---
You really can learn a lot about a person from watching his/her funeral (yes, I am aware of how creepy that sounds).  But really, as I was researching Henson's life for this post I kept happening upon articles and videos from Henson's memorial services in 1990.  And from reading about his requests that no one wear black, to watching the moving musical numbers by Big Bird and the muppets (really), to listening to moving eulogies by his friends, I felt that I gleaned so much about Henson and his life.  What struck me most was that he was incredibly loved by everyone who knew him-- something rather uncommon for a person of his immense success.  He actually reads like a poster child for how to succeed in life and your career.  So (and this is where that first part comes into play) I'd like to use my recent obsession with self-help and my fascination of Henson to give you some advice that I might imagine Henson giving if he had written a self-help book.
--- 
Pursue other creative outlets
Henson is best known for blessing the world with his wonderful and whimsical puppets that became the famous characters of The Muppets and Sesame Street.  But did you know that he was nominated for an Academy Award in 1966 for an experimental short film he made?  Or that he came this close to opening a nightclub named Cyclia "that would immerse its patrons into a perfectly synchronized environment of music, images, and dance?"  Henson focused on the ventures that brought him commercial success, but also set aside the time to pursue his "passion projects."
The takeaway: No matter what you do, make room in your schedule to pursue your passions.  This will bolster your creativity and lead you to performing better in your worklife.

Pay attention to detail
In a eulogy both hilarious and truly touching, Henson's work partner and close friend Frank Oz tells a story about a homemade gift Henson once gave him for Christmas. And what struck Oz most about it was the attention to detail and the intricacy of the piece.  Henson took the time to pay attention to the tiniest details of his work in order to achieve the effect he wanted.
The takeaway: It's important to go the extra mile;  if you notice the little things, people will notice you.

Be grateful
According to Oz, Henson not only noticed the little things- he truly appreciated them and soaked in their presence whenever possible.  He appreciated so many of the things we take for granted on a daily basis: warm weather, taking walks, and especially dessert.  And Oz believed this was a part of Henson's magic: "I think life was just this dessert for him.  I really don't believe that Jim could have been such an extraordinary creator if he hadn't been such an extraordinary appreciator."
The takeaway: Show appreciation and gratefulness for the small joys and successes in your life; positive energy can take you far.

Create Something
Above all, Henson's legacy is the beautiful things he brought into the world: his films, his sesame street characters, his muppets.  Henson was able to give back by creating something that continues to have a positive impact on the world- decades after his passing.  His work continuously brings laughter, song, and education to children and adults alike.
The takeaway: Life is better when you create things.

Care about people
Must I say more?
---
Bonus: Here is a picture of my sister Chrissy with the Jim Henson statue at the University of Maryland (their shared alma mater).

1 comment:

  1. Kay, I love the self help section you created based on your research of Jim Henson. That was a really creative way to tie in two things you like. Great post!

    ReplyDelete